||Intro to arch methods
||Ethnography and Techniques
- IT’S OK TO BE WRONG: How do you think anthropologists study living cultures?
- AHD: 282-287
- VIDEO: Digital ethnography
- DO: identify the different techniques and list pros and cons
- DO: start planning lunch room ethnography. Use Simple guide to ethnography
||Point of View
- IT’S OK TO BE WRONG: Is it better to get the insiders or outsiders view?
- AHD: 287-290
- VIDEO: Ethnography
- DO: work on lunch room ethnography
- IT’S OK TO BE WRONG: which is better, ethnography or surveys?
- AHD: 290-294
- IT’S OK TO BE WRONG: Should anthropologists study terrorism? If so, How?
- AHD: 292-293
- DO: continue ethnography
- HW: finish ethnography write up at home
||Theory and Anthropology
- IT’S OK TO BE WRONG: Can you think of different ways to approach looking at human cultures?
- LECTURE: basics of theories
- VIDEO: Morgan and Tylor
- IT’S OK TO BE WRONG: on a scale from 0 to racist, how racist is unilinear evolution?
- DO: add to chart of theories in handout (or maybe list of famous anthropologists and their work)
- DO: finish chart of theories
- IT’S OK TO BE WRONG: what do you think people from other countries think is weird about Americans?
- VIDEO: Meet the Natives
- Show me what you understand!
- DO: relax! That theoretical stuff is hard! Play anthropology Pictionary.