||What is language? Linguistics?
- IT’S OK TO BE WRONG: What is color is this?
- DO: ask study hall and chart by age/gender/art electives. Discuss findings.
- IT’S OK TO BE WRONG: what are some new words that were created during your lifetime?
- VIDEO: Science of studying language
||Non Human Communication
- IT’S OK TO BE WRONG: what are the ways animals communicate?
- AFD: 221-224
- IT’S OK TO BE WRONG: What are the differences between human and animal communication?
- AHD: 312-316
- AFD: 224-226
- DO: team game – how many similes and metaphors can you come up with
- VIDEO: Washoe and Koko koko is sad koko kittens
||Characteristics and structure of human language
- IT’S OK TO BE WRONG: what do you think are the characteristics of human language?
- AFD: 227-230
- IT’S OK TO BE WRONG: what do you find to be hardest about learning a foreign language?
- IT’S OK TO BE WRONG: what would make learning a foreign language easier?
- AFD: 230-233
- VIDEO: tour of American accents
||Language and Thought and Culture
- IT’S OK TO BE WRONG: what does language have to do with thinking?
- AHD: 318-320
- VIDEO: Language shapes culture
- IT’S OK TO BE WRONG: why would people talking in different ways at different times to different people?
- DO: come up with examples of code switching in your own life
- VIDEO: key and peele 2
||Black English Vernacular
- AHD: 326-328
- DO: Debate – is BEV a language or not
- TS: 10
||Bringing it all together
- Finish handout and ask questions
- Show me what you understand!
- DO: relax! That theoretical stuff is hard! Play anthropology Pictionary.