Formation of Civilizations
||Review Human Subsistence
- IT’S OK TO BE WRONG: what are the characteristics of Foraging, Pastoralism, Horticulture and Agriculture?
- IT’S OK TO BE WRONG: how do you think foragers make sure there aren’t more people than the environment an support?
- SLIDES: k14e12
- AFD: 165-170
- Read along handout
- DO: start to fill out chart in handout
||Characteristics of Civilization
- IT’S OK TO BE WRONG: What do you think are the characteristics of civilizations?
- IT’S OK TO BE WRONG: Why are math and astronomy important for the development of civilizations?
- AFD: 173-181
- DO: rank importance of characteristics and justify your ranking
- IT’S OK TO BE WRONG: What do you remember learning previously about Mesopotamia, Egypt, and the Inca?
- HW: find an article on nytimes.com about an ancient civilization. Then summarize it and ask 3 questions about it.
||Origin of States/ More Attributes
- AHD: 256-259
- DO: Pick an ancient civilization and evaluate it according to the 14 characteristics. Present info to class in a way of your choice (powerpoint, poem, poster, art piece, story). Pick from Egypt, Indus river, Shang, Maya, Aztec, Inca, Cahokia/Mississippian, Great Zimbabwe, Anasazi/Chaco Canyon, Mycenaean, Olmec, and Angkor/Khmer)
||State formation Middle East
- AHD: 260-268
- VIDEO: First States and questions
- DO: continue ancient civ project
||Other Early States
- AHD: 268-272
- DO: present ancient civ project
- AHD: 272-276
- DO: create game of monumental art and architecture (Olmec, Easter island, Assyrian winged bull, abu simbel , Teotihuacan, great ziggarut of ur, Tenochtitlan, Machu Picchu, Great Zimbabwe, Cahokia, Ajanta Caves, Angkor wat, Petra)
||Monumental Art and Architecture
- DO: finish and play games!
- QUIZ: at end of class on art/arch
||Collapse of States
- IT’S OK TO BE WRONG: What do you think leads to the collapse of civilizations?
- AHD: 276-277
- VIDEO: Maya rise and fall and Mayan Collapse and compare plus fact check
- IT’S OK TO BE WRONG: Could climate change lead to the collapse of our civilization? How?
- IT’S OK TO BE WRONG: Predict what else could lead to the collapse of our civilization?
- VIDEO: Jared Diamond 5 points of collapse
- DO: Pick a civilization and evaluate it on Diamond’s 5 points (Cahokia/Mississippian, Great Zimbabwe, Anasazi/Chaco Canyon, Easter Island, Mycenaean, Olmec, and Angkor/Khamer) then present to class
- Show me what you understand!
- DO: finish Diamond presentations